Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Florida CB Jenkins returning for senior season

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -Florida cornerback Janoris Jenkins pretty much shut down the Southeastern Conference's best receivers in 2010.

He'll try to do it again next season.

Jenkins announced Monday that he has decided to return for his senior season, a huge boost for the Gators and new coach Will Muschamp.

"I spent some time with my family and coach Muschamp and came to the conclusion it was in my best interest to return to school," Jenkins said in a statement. "Coach Muschamp was very supportive throughout the whole process, regardless of my decision, but he wanted to make sure I had all of the facts. I'm looking forward to working towards my degree, completing my rehab and getting back on the field with my teammates."

Jenkins, a three-year starter projected to be a first-round draft pick, has eight career interceptions. He had three this season, and was a first-team, All-SEC selection by The Associated Press. He missed the Outback Bowl following shoulder surgery.

He was at his best against Georgia's A.J. Green, Alabama's Julio Jones and South Carolina's Alshon Jeffery. They averaged 38 yards receiving against Jenkins and had one touchdown between them.

Jenkins also was Florida's leading punt returner, with 18 returns for 150 yards.

"I'm excited that Janoris has made a decision to come back to school," Muschamp said. "I would have supported him in whatever decision he made, but I commend him for making a mature decision.

"It would have been real easy for Janoris to make an emotional choice and leave early, but with our contacts in the NFL, we were able to assist him in understanding his draft status and he made an educated decision that will be beneficial to him in the long term."

Muschamp said Saturday that no players had left the team since his arrival. Safety Will Hill is considering turning pro, but has not announced his intentions. Underclassmen have until Saturday to declare for the NFL draft.