Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Muschamp: 'I don't count stars'

New Florida coach Will Muschamp said the best time to judge the Gators' 2011 recruiting class will be in two to three years, not today.

"I don't count stars," Muschamp said Wednesday. "I watch the tape. I recruit. I don't read the Internet.

"I haven't turned on ESPN today to check out what everybody is thinking. I worry about what I think, not what they think."

He said he was interested more on signing 18 players instead of filling out the class with 25.

"I took the recruiting board that we had and recruited the guys that had genuine interest in the University of Florida," Muschamp said. "We weren't going to go out and make an emotional decision and sign guys just to sign them."

The transition period after former coach Urban Meyer stepping down was a challenge, Muschamp said.

"We get one in-home visit in the month of January," he said. "That's tough in one night to recruit and sell what we're trying to do.

(Defensive coordinator) Dan (Quinn) was on the road (recruiting) for about a week and (offensive coordinator) Charlie (Weis) two."

Despite a lack of linemen in the recent class, Muschamp said the Gators filled some needs.

"I feel really good about our football team on campus in terms of line of scrimmage," Muschamp said. "We would have liked to add some depth."

The new Florida coach also talked about the importance of signing the nation's consensus No.1-ranked quarterback prospect, Jeff Driskel.

"Jeff is an outstanding player," Muschamp said. "The quarterback is a different position. You've got to have that guy with the leadership ability to affect the others in the huddle and off the field."

Could Driskel challenge for the starting job?

"Every job on our football team is open, Muschamp said. "Every position needs to be earned every day."