Friday, February 4, 2011

Dwyer QB picks UF; mom miffed

All of a sudden, the Gators could be loaded at quarterback, a mother's wishes notwithstanding.

Jacoby Brissett, the nation's top-rated uncommitted quarterback out of Palm Beach Gardens Dwyer, announced Friday during his senior-night basketball game that he intends to enroll at Florida, where he will try basketball, too.

That is, if his mother will let him. Ellicia Brown wants him to attend Miami, and she will try to change the mind of her 6-foot-5, 225-pound son this weekend.

"Next year I'm going to play at the University of Florida," Brissett said shortly before tip-off. He had sent a text message about his choice to his mom earlier. He was pursued by Miami and Wisconsin, plus North Carolina basketball coach Roy Williams wanted him. Brissett did not plan to send in his letter of intent until Monday.

"Not my choice," Brown said. "I'm very disappointed. I didn't like the way Florida handled the process. I've never been able to meet the head coach. … I've never met (Will Muschamp) face-to-face, and I find that very disrespectful. … I was hoping that (her son) would respect me and go to 'the U' because 'the U' showed respect to his mom."

At UF, Brissett joins Oviedo Hagerty's Jeff Driskel, who was rated the nation's No. 1 quarterback prospect by Rivals.com and Scout.com. Brissett led Dwyer to the state title his junior year and the semifinals as a senior, throwing for 32 touchdowns with one interception.

New UF offensive coordinator Charlie Weis made visiting Brissett one of his first priorities.

John Brantley returns as the starter, but Muschamp said all jobs will be open for competition. Jordan Reed is likely to return to tight end.