Sunday, March 27, 2011

Shot selection under question after Gators’ Elite Eight loss to Butler

If you believe Twitter is representative of the Gators’ fan base overall, then it would seem that most Florida fans were unhappy with the 3-point shots Erving Walker and Kenny Boynton missed late vs. Butler.

To recap, Walker was 0-for-8 from the floor and had missed his five previous shots from 3-point range before taking one as time expired that would have won the game for Florida. He did ultimately make one in overtime, but finished 1-for-10 shooting.

“I thought in regulation we got Erving Walker a great look,” said coach Billy Donovan. “I was blocked off. I think Chandler kind of ran in front of me so I couldn’t see how clean it was, and he told me he had a great look, he was really wide open, and he was disappointed he missed that one.”


Near the end of overtime, Kenny Boynton attempted a 3-pointer with 19 seconds left and Florida fouled, sending Shelvin Mack to the line to ice the game.

“I would have probably have liked to have seen Kenny drive the ball when we were down one,” Donovan said. “I would have preferred that. But you know, he is another guy that’s made some big shots for us.”