Thursday, November 18, 2010

Florida DT Sharrif Floyd was frustrated, but now happy in Gainesville

Even though he played every week, there were moments this season when freshman DT Sharrif Floyd felt like leaving the Gators.

Floyd did not specify why he was unhappy at Florida earlier in the year, but said those problems are in the past and he now feels at home in Gainesville.


“I hit a wall a couple times, but that’s a given,” he said this afternoon, making his first media appearance since early this season. “Everybody’s going to hit a wall. This is my school and I love it.”

By “hit a wall,” Floyd meant that he had “problems and not really wanting to be here.”

He thought those feelings were typical for college freshmen and they no longer are an issue for him.

“At the end of the day, I know where I belong, he said.

“I’m good. This is the place for me.”

Other notes from the big man:

– Floyd said the relationship between freshmen and veterans began improving the week of the Georgia game in October.

“It started off a little shaky, then we started bringing it together, started being a team instead of segregated,” he said.

– Floyd came to Gainesville at 6-foot-3, 302 pounds, but his weight rose to a peak of 308 pounds. He has since slimmed down to 299.