Saturday, February 25, 2012

Tucker Sets School's RBI Record; No. 1 UF Clinches Series Against William & Mary, 5-1

Senior Preston Tucker (Tampa, Fla.) became Florida’s career RBI leader and junior Brian Johnson (Cocoa Beach, Fla.) (1-0) carried a shutout into the seventh inning as the top-ranked Gators (6-1) clinched their weekend series with a 5-1 victory over William & Mary (2-4) on Saturday afternoon at McKethan Stadium.

Tucker (2-for-4) belted a two-out solo homer in the third inning to break a tie with Brad Wilkerson (1996-98) on top of the school’s career list. He now has a Florida-record 215 RBI in 205 games played. Freshman Casey Turgeon (Palm Harbor, Fla.) (2-for-3) had a two-run dinger as part of a three-run sixth for his first career round-tripper.

“I thought that our approach was better,” head coach Kevin O’Sullivan said. “I don’t think the result was quite what we wanted as far as the hit total, but I thought we tried to go the other way a little bit better. We tried to swing at better pitches earlier in the count to not get ourselves out. It was a tough day to hit – the wind was blowing across from right to left, and we hit a lot of fly balls to right field. But, I thought the approach itself was better. The results were obviously not what they wanted as a whole, but the bottom line is that the approach was better.”

On setting the RBI record, Tucker said, “It’s a little relief and felt good, especially since we were only up one at that point. I got the record; it feels great and now I can just continue to have good at-bats.”

“It was really cool (receiving a standing ovation from the crowd at McKethan Stadium). A lot of these fans I see every day; we have a ton of loyal fans. It was a great crowd today and I’d like to thank the fans for supporting me over the last four years.”

“It means a lot (to break the record). It’s really cool since it was previously held by Brad Wilkerson who played in the Big Leagues for a ton of years. And, you know, it means a lot knowing that the guys in front of me have been on base a whole lot -- going back to Avery Barnes and Matt den Dekker too, and the guys hitting in front of me this year. We’ve had a great team through the last four years and it means a lot to me.” 

More at http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=22497