Friday, December 10, 2010

Florida keeping coaching list a secret!

GAINESVILLE — On Day 2 of what Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley called "proactively searching" for a replacement for coach Urban Meyer, exactly whom Foley is targeting remains unknown.

"Have I sat down and started developing some candidates?" Foley said Friday. "Yes."

Foley acknowledged he has compiled a short list of candidates and had a head start in the process.

"Since last Saturday (when Meyer first informed me he was considering resigning), have I been thinking? Have I had some staff people doing some research? Yes," he said. "The specifics are: You start calling the list. Who do you think is interested. Who do you think is a fit."

Former offensive coordinator and Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen remains a hot name. But like any coach in his situation, Mullen said Thursday that he has not been contacted and is not seeking the job.

On Wednesday, the day of Meyer's resignation, Foley said he hoped to have a coach hired in 2-2½ weeks but said Thursday that it's too soon to say exactly when he'll complete the search.

"I'm still in the process of figuring out who (I want)," Foley said.