Monday, April 8, 2013

Patric Young to Return for Senior Season

University of Florida men’s basketball center Patric Young (Jacksonville, Fla.) announced on Monday that he will return for his senior season in 2013-14.

“I have the chance to finish my degree and play another season for Coach Donovan with great teammates and friends at a place I love,” Young said. “These first three years have gone by in a flash, and I can’t believe it is my senior year already. I have gotten better as a player and better as a man at the University of Florida. I believe God has my future in his hands, so all I am worried about now is getting better this summer and making it the hardest I have trained in my life.”

“We’re excited that Patric will continue with us for his senior season,” head coach Billy Donovan said. “This was Patric’s decision to make, and he ultimately had to do what he felt was best for himself and his future.”

Young, the two-time SEC Scholar-Athlete of the Year, has played in all 111 games over his three seasons at Florida. Since moving into the starting lineup as a sophomore, he has averaged 10.2 points and 6.4 rebounds per game. He will return with a chance to become the 50th Gator to join the 1,000-point club, having scored 878 career points to date.

In addition to Young, the Gators will have three other seniors returning for 2013-14, including guard Scottie Wilbekin (Gainesville, Fla.) and forwards Will Yeguete (Bordeaux, France) and Casey Prather (Jackson, Tenn.).