Thursday, March 1, 2012

Women's tennis wins 99th straight at home

In front of the biggest home crowd this season, the 15th-ranked University of Florida women’s tennis team defeated Florida State, 7-0, on Wednesday evening and won its 99th consecutive home match at Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex. The victory improves the Gators’ record to 52-1 all-time against the Seminoles.

“I thought we were very efficient. I really liked the way we competed, the way we played. I thought we set the tone right from the start in doubles. I was very pleased with that, actually,” said head coach

Roland Thornqvist. “I thought we were aggressive, we moved at the right time, we served to the right spots. I thought we were good from start to finish today and you know what? I was hoping we would be with the rain out on Sunday. We can sort of forget that now because I thought we were very sharp today.”

The Gators took the doubles point with relatively no resistance as FSU won only two games in the three matches.

The Gators next travel to Knoxville, Tenn., where they play Tennessee on Friday. The match against the No. 5 Volunteers marks the start of SEC play for the Gators.