Saturday, August 20, 2011

Practice notes: Frankie Hammond Jr.’s consistency makes him top receiver

Will Muschamp has praised Frankie Hammond Jr. for being the team’s most consistent receiver, but that day-in, day-out dependability didn’t always come naturally for the redshirt junior. Like many, Hammond needed to mature before he could become one of Florida’s top three receivers.

“It just takes time. Coming off my redshirt sophomore year when I was just basically playing special teams, I just wanted to focus on just catching and becoming a better all-around receiver,” he said. “Coming off that year I just tried to focus on that. I’ve just been getting better and progressing every day.”

Hammond had 276 receiving yards last season but drew praise from former coach Urban Meyer late in the season for his blocking. That’s become a key part of why he’s done so well with the new coaching staff, Hammond said.

“To be a good football team, you have to establish the run game and part of that is just springing plays, those big 60-yard runs that contributes to a receiver blocking downfield,” he said. “I understand that’s a great deal of our offense and that’s what keeps things moving, and that’s what opens up things for the pass game as well. So I focus on blocking just as well as catching the ball.”