Saturday, August 6, 2011

Demps thought of only running track

There is not a running back wearing No. 2 for the Florida Gators this season. But don't worry, Jeff Demps was at UF's media day on Friday.

The running back is wearing No. 28 this season rather than his trademark No. 2.

“I just felt like No. 2 was more of an all-purpose back's number,” he said. “I wanted to wear a tailback's number this year.”

Demps will be one of the candidates to get carries in a crowded backfield that also includes Chris Rainey, Mike Gillislee, Mack Brown and fullback Trey Burton. Demps led Florida in rushing last year with 551 yards. He ran for three touchdowns.

Demps missed the spring to run track for the Gator team and toyed with the idea of turning pro in that sport and bolting the Gator football team.

But after returning with the United States team from a trip to Italy, where he finished fifth in the 100-meter dash, Demps made the decision to return for his senior season.

“It was close, but maybe not as close as some people thought,” Demps said. “There were people saying I wasn't going to play football this year.

“Once I got back, I talked to my parents and talked to my coaches and decided to come back and play football for my senior year. Italy was fun. I just wanted to get a feel for what it was like. It was a good experience for me.”

Demps hopes a big senior season could translate into another decision — whether to go to the NFL or professional track.

“Hopefully, I can play at the next level,” he said. “Hopefully, I have options.”