Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Waiting Game: Trio of Gators Hope To Hear Their Names Called At NBA Draft

All the work has been put in, but now comes the really hard part.

The waiting game.

Chandler Parsons, Vernon Macklin and Alex Tyus have traveled across North America in hopes of making their NBA dreams a reality. They’ve done the workouts – Houston, Oklahoma City, Boston, Golden State, Miami, New York, New Jersey, Denver and then some.

With that behind them now, the trio will now wait and see what happens Thursday night when the NBA Draft takes place in New York ( 7 p.m., ESPN).

Reached by phone on Wednesday, Parsons reflected on his past month of workouts, and plans to have a quiet night watching the draft with 15-20 close family and friends in his hometown of Casselberry, Fla.

“The last month has been an absolute grind,” says Parsons. “It’s a lot of fun, you’re traveling around the country, staying in great cities and competing against some of the best players in the world. It’s been an honor to be a part of it.

“It’s exhausting to be in a different city for a different team every day, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. It’s been an honor to be a part of this, and I’d do it all over again.”

Parsons’ favorite story? That’s an easy one. It was working out for the Charlotte Bobcats in front of owner and NBA legend Michael Jordan.  During the workout he had several dunks that drew a reaction, and maybe even a smile or two from the basketball icon.

“Just having Michael Jordan watch my workout was crazy.”

The three Gators crossed paths on their journey around the country, Parsons and Macklin both worked out for the Washington Wizards and Oklahoma City Thunder at the same time, while Tyus and Parsons stayed in the same hotel and had workouts a day apart for the New Jersey Nets.

“We tried to keep in touch during all of the workouts,” said Parsons. “I talked to Vernon a lot, we tried to help each other out with guys we’d worked out against and seen. I hear he and Alex did great and we’ll all be pulling for each other tomorrow night.”

Most projections have Parsons going in the late in the first round to somewhere in the second round, while University of Florida head coach Billy Donovan told a Gator Gathering in Orlando on Tuesday night he thought Macklin and Tyus could go in the second round.

If they do hear their names called on Thursday night, it will be the culmination of years of hard work and dreams.

“I really don’t know how I’ll react,” says Parsons. “It’s going to be really emotional if it happens, I’ve waited on this for my whole life. I don’t know if I’ll scream or I’ll cry. Most important, the people that have been here with me from day one will be there with me.”