Thursday, June 2, 2011

Billy Donovan says Kenny Boynton could be SEC’s top defender

expected to take a bigger role as a junior after the loss of seniors Chandler Parsons, Alex Tyus and Vernon Macklin, Donovan said his biggest impact on defense.


The Gators’ second-best scorer with 14.2 points per game last season was also Florida’s best defender. Boynton faced opposing teams’ best guards, and often contained them well enough that they didn’t hurt the Gators. (See: Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Kentucky, BYU).

“But I think the one thing he’s really gotta take – and he does take pride in it, but I don’t know if he understands how valuable this is – I think whether or not he’s the best player or not, he has the ability to be the best defensive player in our league, no question,” Donovan said. “And I’m noyt saying his role’s going to change just to be a defender, but when you talk about him really leading us in scoring and then the fact that he’s got to guard John Jenkins twice a year, he’s guarding Jimmer Fredette, he’s guarding (Scottie) Hopson from Tennessee, he’s guarding Brandon Knight. Like he’s on the best guys on the perimeter.”

Donovan said Boynton is on campus for both summer sessions .

“If there’s one thing about Kenny that I think he’s right now is I think he’s an NBA defender,” Donovan said. “He can really guard anybody on the perimeter. I think the next step for him is decision making, assist-to-turnover ratio, being a better finisher in the lane, those kinds of things. But I think he’s working to get better.”