Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pro track has to wait, Jeff Demps will play one more football season for Florida Gators

GAINESVILLE — So much for rumors.

Amid talk that Jeff Demps might turn pro in track rather than return for his senior season, the Florida Gators running back made it official on Tuesday that he will stay at Florida.

"As I stated last week in Birmingham, Jeff Demps will be joining our football program when our squad reports for camp on Aug. 5 and when we start practice on Aug. 6," UF coach Will Muschamp said. "I met with him today, and Jeff is looking forward to focusing on football for his upcoming senior season."

Demps won the NCAA indoor 60 meters this past year, but he failed to defend his outdoor title in the 100 meters when he fell short in qualifying and did not reach the finals.

He was the Gators' main running back last season, but a foot injury sustained against Tennessee hampered his season. He never really returned to top form the rest of the season. Demps has stated several times he would consider a future in track after his senior year, but his first love is football.

"When I came to Florida, I wanted to compete at a very high level in both sports, and I've done that," Demps said. "Football has been my first love, but I also love running track. All of my coaches have been supportive, and I've always been able to concentrate on whatever sport I'm competing in during that season. I concentrated on track this past spring and summer, and I'm now ready to concentrate on football. I'm looking forward to getting back together with my football teammates and having a great senior season."

Demps rushed for 551 yards on 92 rushes last season.