Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mark Richt says Will Muschamp still has some Georgia in him

Gators coach Will Muschamp was asked at SEC Media Day on Wednesday about being a Georgia guy coaching at the University of Florida. Muschamp, who grew up in Gainesville, replied quickly: “I’m a Florida guy.”

Georgia coach Mark Richt doesn’t necessarily agree.

“I’m sure he’s going to tell everybody in Florida that he’s (a Gator) through and through and all that,” Richt said and smiled Thursday, “but I’m sure there’s some red and black in his veins.”

Richt, a Miami grad, went on to tell the story about starting his coaching career at Florida State and playing his alma mater for the first time: “I was just a graduate assistant but I was wearing garnet and gold,” he remembered. “It was weird, for sure.”

Even though he is one of Florida’s biggest coaching rivals, Richt says he has little doubt Muschamp will succeed at UF.

“Will is a great person, a great coach and a great competitor,” Richt said. “He understands the game. He understands how to recruit. He gets it. I don’t think there’s any doubt he will have a high level of success at Florida.”