Friday, August 9, 2013

Driskel is good to go for UF

The morning after practicing for the first time this preseason, and only 10 days after having his appendix removed, Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel proclaimed himself 100-percent healthy and not limited in any way.

“It was good,” Driskel said Friday of his first practice Thursday night. “Everything felt good in my stomach. I thought I threw the ball really well and I thought we had a good day offensively.

“I wasn't limited at all. I was full go. I didn't have any pain, no issues. I didn't get all the reps I'd like to because I'm still in the (NCAA) acclimation period, so I couldn't be out there in pads. So, there were a couple of things I couldn't do. But other than that, I wasn't limited at all.”

The Gators opened practice with a one-minute drill, and Driskel led the offense to a winning field goal, UF coach Will Muschamp said.

“Great to have Jeff Driskel back at practice last night,” Muschamp said. “Very accurate with the ball, felt very comfortable in there. For me standing behind the offense, he had great command in what we were doing and directing traffic with our offensive football team. Really pleased to get him back on the field.”

Driskel practiced in shorts Thursday and Friday and will be in shells (small shoulder pads) for Saturday's scrimmage and Sunday's practice. Per NCAA rules concerning the start of preseason camp, Driskel cannot go into full pads until after his fourth practice.

Driskel said he is good to go health-wise and has no future doctor's appointments concerning his appendectomy surgery.

“There's nothing scheduled. I'm in the clear,” he said. “It was great. I went in (Thursday) morning and the doc said I'm good to go. He said, ‘Don't be dumb about it.'

“If it hurts, tell the trainers and they'll do what's best for me. Don't push through pain is basically what that means.”

Even though the quarterbacks are in non-contact jerseys, Driskel said he thinks he could take a hit right now if he had to.

“I'm sure I won't take a hit until the first game, but I'm sure I could. We haven't tested or anything like that. Everything seems fine, and that's not really any issue for me anymore."

Driskel said he does not feel that missing six practices has put him behind in preparation for the start of the season.

“I think I'm up to speed,” he said. “Second year in the offense means there's not really anything I haven't done yet. I think I've done a good job of staying alert in the meetings and getting the mental reps. I think I'm good to go.”

Muschamp said Driskel did not look rusty in any way throwing the ball Thursday night.

“Very good, very good,” Muschamp said. “He had great command. He threw the ball extremely well. Nice zip on the ball. He threw a couple nice touch passes. I thought he looked sharp.”

Muschamp and offensive coordinator Brent Pease have said they expect Driskel to be a much-improved quarterback in his second year as the starter in Pease's offense. Driskel said he's eager to show everyone the progress he has made since last season.

“I'm excited for the first game to really show it off,” he said. “Thus far I feel like I've gotten a lot better and I think we've gotten a lot better as a whole on offense.

“I just think I'm a lot more comfortable. I know where to throw the ball and I know where to throw the ball in certain situations, and we're a lot better at timing. I'm getting the ball out before they're breaking rather than waiting for them to break to throw the ball. That's a big difference in catching the ball and getting tackled or catching the ball and turning it up-field.”