Thursday, December 20, 2012

Rosario helps UF rebound vs. Southeastern Louisiana

When asked, Florida coach Billy Donovan has been candid about senior guard Mike Rosario's struggles last season.

Referencing Rosario sitting out 10 practices with a hip pointer a year ago, Donovan said, “A hip pointer? My daughter could play through that.”

Fast-forward a year later, and the 6-foot-3 Rutgers transfer is becoming one of UF's most consistent players. Rosario scored a team-high 20 points, his fourth straight game in double figures, lifting the Gators (8-1) to an 82-43 win over Southeastern Louisiana (1-8) at the O'Connell Center.

“Coach Billy is keeping the heat on me every day,” Rosario said. “I'm a fifth-year player. I'm experienced. I've been through the Big East and I've been through a lot of challenges in my life. I just feel like Coach Billy challenges me every day. I look forward to it because this is my last go-around and I feel like my teammates need me to bring that consistency every day.”

Over UF's last four games, Rosario is averaging 15.3 points and 2.7 assists.

“It's been more as coach, just not bending, setting a certain standard that we're going to have here, and not bending on that,” Donovan said. “I think he has really conformed and worked, and I think it's showed in his play. He's much, much more disciplined. He's much more responsible. He's much more accountable. I feel like I know what I'm getting from him from day-to-day.”

Rosario eclipsed his previous UF high of 19 points he set in his Gator debut last season against Jackson State. But the rest of his junior season didn't go as well. A former McDonald's All-American who averaged more than 16 points at Rutgers, Rosario struggled accepting a bench role behind Florida guards Bradley Beal, Erving Walker and Kenny Boynton.

With Beal and Walker gone, Rosario worked hard during the offseason to earn a starting job.

“The most difficult thing to deal with as a coach is when you have a talented player that you don't know who is showing up, who you are going to get from day-to-day, and that's who he was a year ago,” Donovan said. “And to his credit, I think he's put it together.”

Rosario scored 17 of his 20 points in the first half, helping Florida build a 43-26 halftime lead. He scored 10 straight UF points during a 10-2 run that extended UF's lead to 35-19. The 10 points came on a pair of 3-pointers, a driving layup and a jumper just inside the 3-point line.

“Shoot till you're cold, shoot till you're hot,” Rosario said. “That's one thing I've been told growing up. There's no other thing you can do. If you have open shots, take them.”

Florida pulled away with defense, holding Southeastern Louisiana to just two points through the first 10-plus minutes in the second half. It was the sixth time in nine games Florida held an opponent under 50 points this season.

Donovan said the Gators came out more disciplined defensively in the second half after players left their feet early on plays in the first half.

“We talked about that at halftime, just being disciplined,” Donovan said. “The shot clock is going to go down all the way to 10 seconds, we've got to be disciplined and we've got to hold them to one shot. I thought our discipline in the second half was really, really good.”

Patric Young added 10 points and five rebounds for the Gators, and freshman Michael Frazier added 12 points. Florida got 31 points from its bench, including nine points from Scottie Wilbekin and eight from Casey Prather.

Kenny Boynton remained mired in his shooting slump, going 1-for-7 from the floor, all on 3-point attempts. Boynton did have five assists and finished with seven points, becoming just the fifth player in UF history to eclipse 1,700 career points.

Boynton is just 3 for his last 27 (11.1 percent) from 3-point range.

“This is going to sound terrible to say, because I don't know how to put it in the right context, (but) this is great for him,” Donovan said. “Not that I want him going through a difficult time, but he's got to fight through this. And I think anytime anything comes easy to you and you don't have to work for it and struggle and battle and grind, I think you lose a sense of how hard it is to make shots and be a good player.”