Tuesday, July 24, 2012

UF swimmers abound in London

The University of Florida's strong Olympic tradition in swimming will continue at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.

Of the 36 former, current and future Gator athletes who have qualified for this year's games, 23 of them will be competing in London's beautiful new Aquatics Centre, this year's site for swimming.

Five of those athletes — ex-Gators Ryan Lochte, Conor Dwyer, Clark Burckle and Dana Vollmer and current standout Elizabeth Beisel — will don the red, white and blue of Team USA, as will UF coach Gregg Troy, the head coach for the U. S. men's team.

While most of the focus understandably has been on the anticipated pool duels between Lochte and teammate Michael Phelps, Beisel will be one of the top medal threats for the U. S. women. The rising junior from North Kingstown, R.I., just missed a medal in Beijing in 2008 as a wide-eyed 15-year-old, finishing fourth in the 200-meter individual medley and fifth in the 200-meter backstroke.

Now the reigning world champion in the 400-meter IM, Beisel, the 2012 SEC Female Swimmer of the Year, is coming off an impressive win in that event at the U. S. Olympic Trials. She also qualified for the 200 back by finishing second behind teenage sensation Missy Franklin.

“I think last time I was just so young and so focused on ‘Oh my God, I'm here at the Olympics and this is my dream come true,' that I didn't really have any goals,” Beisel said. “I mean, I was excited if I got a medal or made a final, but this year I know what I can do. I've been through it before.”

Dwyer, the 2010 and 2011 SEC Male Swimmer of the Year, is headed to his first Olympics by virtue of finishing runner-up in the 400 freestyle at the U. S. Trials to fellow Gator Swim Club member and winner Peter Vanderkaay, a Michigan alum who has been training alongside Lochte and Dwyer.

Dwyer also will swim a leg of the 4x200 freestyle relay.

“This is something I've been striving for my entire career,” Dwyer said. “I've been training with Ryan and Peter, who both are going to their third Olympics, and I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm very excited.”

The remaining 18 swimmers with UF ties will represent a variety of countries, led by the quartet of ex-Gators Marco Loughran, Gemma Spofforth, Jemma Lowe and Stephanie Proud for host Great Britain.

Troy, an assistant coach for the U.S. men in 2008, is just the second UF coach in history to be named a U.S. Olympic head coach, joining former track and field coach Jimmie Carnes (1980).
 
“This team has the potential to be very strong, but the reality is a lot depends on how Ryan and Michael perform,” Troy said. “If those two guys are on, we should be really good.”